Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Silent Treatment

My husband hasn't spoken to me for six days (except to kick me out of the bedroom and announce to my son he's leaving). His silence, of course, was preempted by the intense and unprovoked rage (sound byte below) over me ruining his afternoon, which obviously is an excuse for some deeper control issue on his part. Today I have been thinking about how his silence is a form of abuse. In fact, it's a very effective form of abuse.

This treatment has caused me great sadness, depression, anxiety, inability to sleep, severe "walking on eggshells," crying, nervousness, hopelessness, and stress. I have had a huge knot in my stomach since last Friday.

Wow. Saying nothing after a rage, the silent treatment, is a form of abuse that is quite severe and effective. My abuser sure knows his tactics well.

No comments:

Post a Comment