Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Why Does He Do That?

I have been reading an excellent book on abuse entitled "Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men" by Lundy Bancroft. It's such an eye-opening read and completely hits home, describing the emotional abuse I've endured in my marriage. It helps to know I'm not alone.

What I'm having a problem with, however, is facing reality. Some of the stories in the book describe severe physical abuse; my physical incident was only once. And while much of the emotional abuse described rings true to my situation on a daily basis, I'm having a tough time admitting that's what's going on. In fact, just this morning I awoke and decided the best thing to do would be to call my husband's former wife and see if her twenty-year marriage consisted of the same sort of mind-boggling, anger-filled abuse tactics. It sure would help me to understand that I'm not crazy. Then again, maybe I am.

Oh hell... this really sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment